Environmental Policy and Law Lead (m/f/*)
Join us as Environmental Policy and Law Lead and help devise litigation and advocacy strategies for environmental protection in Germany. ClientEarth Germany support individuals and environmental organisations in their fight against the extraction and burning of coal and gas. We are now planning to apply our skills to other thematic fields, to make Germany an environmental and climate champion. During the initial 12 to 24 months in this role you will work closely with our Forests and Agriculture programmes to develop German strategies for both fields and support the programmes with their activities in Germany.
Meet your Manager
In this role you will be managed by Prof. Dr. Hermann Ott. Hermann joined ClientEarth in September 2018 and is the Head of our Germany Office. He is a qualified lawyer, holds a PhD in international environmental law from the Free University of Berlin, and is a professor for ‚Global Sustainability Strategies and Governance‘ at the University of Sustainable Development in Eberswalde, near Berlin (HNEE). Before joining ClientEarth he worked with the Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy in Germany as director of the institute’s Climate Policy Division. From 2009 to 2013 he was a Member of the Bundestag, the German federal parliament in Berlin, and served as the Greens’ speaker on climate policy.
- Developing and implementing an overarching strategy for the legal and advocacy work of ClientEarth in Germany
- Develop a legal and political strategy for forest and environmental protection in the agriculture, forestry, and global food commodities sectors
- Create, manage and lead a diverse team of lawyers and non-lawyers
- Participate in the selection, development and management of environmental, biodiversity and climate litigation
- Develop and manage partnerships with other environmental and climate NGOs
- Legal degree (LL.M or First / Second State Examination in Law) or equivalent degree in social, natural or political sciences
- Experience of the strategic use of environmental policy and law
- Experience of building and managing a team
- A thorough understanding of German environmental policy and legal landscape, experience on how to use legal strategies for the advancement of climate and environmental protection
- Fluent (CEFR C2) in English
- Fluent (CEFR C2) in German
Have a question about this job? Please visit our Careers site for advice on applying, FAQs, and more.
Flexible working: Post-covid, our flexible working policy allows our people the choice to decide to work from home in the country where their contract of employment is issued for 80% of their month, with the other 20% of their month being office-based See our Benefits page for more.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from black, Asian, and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in Germany.
ClientEarth is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services to third parties.Mehr Informationen finden Sie unter https://www.clientearth.org/