Interim Director Communications (m/f/*)
IRC (International Rescue Committee) Germany is looking for an
Interim Director Communications
- Bonn or Berlin | mid-November 2022
- full-time | 1 year
Over the past 80 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
The IRC is on the ground in more than 45 countries, providing emergency relief, relocating refugees and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster. IRC Deutschland (IRC-DE) is part of the IRC global network, which has its headquarter in New York. Since 2016 the IRC has also been active with two offices in Germany. Here we engage in strategic dialogue with other actors in humanitarian aid and development cooperation, acquire funding and shape the dialogue with political stakeholders for the benefit of those affected by displacement. We also implement integration projects with and for refugees in Germany, focusing on the areas of protection, education and economic integration.
As a maternity cover for 12 months, we are looking for a Director Communications for IRC Deutschland who will further build and increase the profile of IRC-DE in support of our broader communications, fundraising and policy & advocacy objectives. The role will do so by following and further developing a communications strategy for the IRC in Germany, outlining objectives and actions to be taken.
- Strategic development
- In close collaboration with the IRC-DE Managing Director and the Senior Director Global Policy and Executive Communications, aligned with the global strategy and IRC-DE objectives, lead on the communications strategy for Germany with clear objectives to further for a stronger positioning for the IRC in Germany
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration to shape the IRC’s profile and brand in Germany, especially with Policy & Advocacy and Mobilization & Marketing to support influence and funding
- Represent External Relations / Communications in IRC-DE’s Senior Management Team (SMT)
- Media and digital
- Continue to build IRC Deutschland’s profile in media and on digital channels by both German and global storytelling and campaigning, leading to higher quantity and quality in media coverage and stronger engagement on digital channels
- Join and adapt global or develop IRC-DE specific campaigns to use key moments for overall positioning of the IRC in Germany (e.g. WRD, Watchlist etc.), bringing along the relevant teams and departments
- Partner visibility, flagship products and brand
- Further build donor visibility through IRC Deutschland’s communications and ensure the IRC meets partner expectations and contract requirements, with special focus on the European Union (ECHO), the German Federal Foreign office (GFFO) as well as other German donors (e.g. GIZ, KfW, BMZ), working closely with colleagues from the AMU
- Produce and distribute communications materials, e.g. IRC-DE’s Annual Report, also ensuring partner visibility
- Staff Management
- Manage the IRC-DE communications team of eight, including two student assistant roles, ensuring successful collaboration within the IRC-DE but also the global teams
- Make sure to work on development and growth plans for all direct reports – according to IRC’s people manager standards
- At least eight years of experience in a communications role such as journalism, press office, brand, political or fundraising campaigning, as well as leadership experience
- Knowledge of developing and implementing communications strategies with an international, ideally humanitarian, or development focus
- Specific knowledge of working with the media to generate coverage and grow the profile of organisations
- Experience of publishing on digital and social media platforms
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues in Europe, the US and other country teams
- Strong organisational and time management skills and the ability to work to deadlines, prioritise and multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills; adept at writing clean, engaging, jargon-free copy for products for media and a range of communications channels
- German language proficiency on a native speaker level is a requirement for the job
- Strong awareness of Policy & Advocacy as well fundraising messaging, knowing what kind of messaging appeals to potential donors, preferably in the humanitarian or refugee sector
What We Offer
- Meaningful work in a multi-cultural team
- Flexible hybrid-work options (working hours, office/homebased)
- Attractive benefits for employees such as gym membership, company pension plan, job bike leasing, job ticket subsidy and special leave days
- 30 days of annual leave
- Training and development opportunities
We are committed to empowerment and inclusion and actively counter all forms of discrimination. Therefore, applications from people with a history of flight and migration, experience of racism and discrimination are expressly welcome. We ask that you refrain from including photos in your application documents.
Please submit your complete application documents:
- Letter of motivation stating your possible start date and salary expectations (max. 1 page),
- curriculum vitae (max. 2 pages),
- at least three references
via our application portal. Unfortunately, we cannot consider applications submitted by e-mail.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Nicole Lajom ([email protected]).
Please submit your application by September 19th, 2022.Mehr Informationen finden Sie unter https://de.rescue.org/wer-wir-sind#
Wir freuen uns, wenn Sie sich in Ihrer Bewerbung auf Talents4Good beziehen. Um sich für diesen Job zu bewerben, besuchen Sie bitte rescue.csod.com.